18 Steps to Minimise your Chances of Being Hacked
Title: 18 Steps/Tips to Reduce Risk of your Game Account Being Compromised by Hacker
Written by Aliji from PlayPark Forum | Edited by Ayumilove
- Tip #1: Do not share username and password
Do not share account/ID and password with anybody! Not even your own friends, BLs (Buddy List), relatives, siblings, etc. This is not about trust but more of just in case his/her PC (personal computer) is already infected without the owner’s knowledge.
Tip #2: Refrain from visiting cyber cafe
You can never be sure how secure or how updated in anti-virus updates their PCs are. Those PC in cyber cafe might be infected with keyloggers (malicious software to track your login password)
Tip #3: Do not disclose personal / account info.
Do not disclose your account information and any other personal info (eg. NRIC no.) in game, especially using the To All chat. Hackers could use those information as clues to hack your account.
Tip #4: Do not be greedy
Do not be greedy and pick up mesos/items dropped by other maplers. Some people had reported that they were hacked of their mesos after they did this. Do not buy “too-cheap-to-be-true” items from FM shops (eg. 1 meso, 10 mesos, etc.) as some people said they were hacked after that.
Tip #5: Do not post your IGN in Forum
You shouldn’t put your ign (character in-game-name) *Either in siggy or Info* here in the forums.
Tip #6: Do not visit Free Market Shops
Do not visit FM shops that are advertised heavily in game. Some people said that they were hacked after visiting such stores.
Tip #7: Do not accept from strangers
Do not accept trade requests, chat invitations, etc. from strangers in game. If they need to talk, can simply use PM (private message/whisper)
Tip #8: Do not AFK in-game too long
Do not afk in game for too long, especialy if you are alone because a hacker can easily dc you and hack you, if he/she can has already gotten hold of your login information. (afk = away from keyboard / dc = disconnect). It is better to leave your character in cs (cash shop) when u afk, especially to those player let let it on for 24/7 de. also never leave your character afk in fm (free market), or town.
Tip #9: Do not visit Meso Service Websites
Do not visit meso/item selling websites and buy any mesos/items from these websites or people who advertised their websites in game. You are asking for (hacker) trouble if you do this. This also includes Power Leveling MapleStory Services. Apart from that, there is a high chance that those selling meso are hackers who have stolen meso from player account (hacked account)!
Tip #10: Frequently update Microsoft Windows Updates
Make sure your own PC’s Microsoft Windows updates, Anti-virus updates, etc, are updated and SCAN your PC 100%. If possible, update the Anti-Virus definition files on daily basis. It’s USELESS if you do not update your anti-virus program and do not scan your PC even if you claim you have anti-virus software installed on your PC.
To check whether the patch is done to your Windows XP:
Click “Start” button. Go to “Control Panel”, then “Systems”. Under the Tab “Äutomatic Updates”, then click on “Windows Update Web Site” (almost at the bottom of the screen), it will direct you to the Microsoft Windows Update Web site, from there, Choose “Review your update History”, it will show you all the windows updates already patched on your xp.
If you have set Automaitc updates ON (Click “Start” button. Go to “Control Panel”, then “Systems”. Under the Tab “Äutomatic Updates”), the patch KB951748 (the patch for DNS Problem) should be installed around 22 July 2008.
This worm called W32.Gammima.AG has been running around the internet for a while now. Please update your anti virus or use a better one. Im using Kaspersky 8 which detects this worm. It infects these applications to steal personal information (login password) : zhengtu.dat / elementclient.exe / dekaron.exe / hyo.exe / wsm.exe and ybclient.exe / fairlyclient.exe / so3d.exe / maplestory.exe / r2client.exe / InphaseNXD.EXE
Tip #11: Sniff out Suspicious Cookies
Install cookie detection softwares such as Spybot, AdAware to sniff out suspicious cookies from various websites which you had visited using your PC.
Tip #12: Scan viruses from file attachments
Make sure your email program has anti-virus detection to scan for viruses on all file attachments. Scan for viruses for all downloads that you have made.
Tip #13: Scan viruses on External Media
Make sure your anti-virus program is able to perform a scan whenever you insert an external media into your PC (eg. USB, CD, DVD, pendrive, thumbdrive, external hard disk etc.)
Tip #14: Scan Thoroughly 100%
Try to scan your PC 100%, after you had:
a) installed a software onto your PC;
b) downloaded any files from any sites/chat programs/p2p sharing programs via the internet onto your PC (eg. blog sites, MSN, Yahoo! Messenger, Facebook, Friendster, IRC, BT, etc.);
c) copied data from an external media into your PC (eg. CD, DVD, etc.)
Tip #15: Scan PC for Viruses before log in in-game
If you are using the same PC (computer) to play online games in addition to surfing the net, checking emails, chat, etc.), do a PC scan before you login to online games if you had done the other activities earlier. Note: This is just to minimise the risk of you getting hacked in game, esp. if your PC is already infected with trojans, keyloggers, etc. after performing those non-gaming activities on the same PC.
Tip #16: Use Soft KeyPad to Login
Try to use the soft keypad to login, else your account information may be stolen if your PC is already infected with trojans or keyloggers.
Tip #17: Use SAM Machine to Top Up A-Cash
For Singaporean maplers, try to use SAM machine to top up acash for the moment, instead of using Asiasoft’s Passport website.
Note: If you had read the TODAY newspaper dated 7th Aug 08, it’s mentioned that the Internet Security agencies had confirmed that there’s a major internet flaw with the DNS (Domain Name Server). As this issue had already been published in other papers and media earlier, some people esp. hackers are already aware of this flaw. So even if you had typed in a legitimate/correct url, you may be redirected to a fake site and hence unknowingly disclose your acct info without knowing it.
But do note that this issue is not just with Maple. It can happen to any websites. And there’s nothing website owners can do, as this is not within their control since they don’t own the Internet. These internet flaws can only be resolved when the Software companies of the internet browsers come up with software updates/patches to patch their internet browser software. And you have to download the update to patch the internet browser on your PC.
Tip #18: Beware of Phishing Sites
Beware of Phishing sites which are the fake sites with similar or lookalike urls (this is highlighted now by Asiasoft) Asiasoft Passport uses this website: https://passport.asiasoft.net/logon/login.aspx. Notice the extra ‘s’ letter after http ? The letter ‘s’ represents secure internet connection. If you visit site that does not have https (its not secured by the official site)
For more information about the Author’s Notes, feel free to visit the link below
Source: Steps to Minimise your chances of being hacked by Aliji
Ayumilove New Blog
- Ayumilove Aven Colony Mission 5 Guide - Tenari Glacier youtu.be/s5Nr_gaXuVw?a 3 weeks ago
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/s5Nr_gaXuVw?a Ayumilove Aven Colony Mission 5 Guide - Tenari Glacier 3 weeks ago
- Ayumilove Aven Colony Mission 4 Guide - Hyla's Crescent youtu.be/rKCfhFACbO0?a 3 weeks ago
- Ayumilove Aven Colony Mission 3 Guide youtu.be/QMphOTGZh1k?a 3 weeks ago
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/QMphOTGZh1k?a Ayumilove Aven Colony Mission 3 Guide 4 weeks ago
- Ayumilove Aven Colony Tutorial Guide youtu.be/6SSazlBQrDI?a 4 weeks ago
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/6SSazlBQrDI?a Ayumilove Aven Colony Tutorial Guide 4 weeks ago
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/KfFDxoJt7qo?a Ayumilove Aven Colony Mission 2 Gameplay Guide - Sandy Gulch 1 month ago
- Aven Colony Mission 2 Gameplay Guide - Sandy Gulch youtu.be/KfFDxoJt7qo?a 1 month ago
- Aven Colony Mission 1 Gameplay Guide - Vanaar youtu.be/E2JuOV7sqR0?a 1 month ago
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/E2JuOV7sqR0?a Aven Colony Mission 1 Gameplay Guide - Vanaar 1 month ago
- MapleStory Cannon Shooter Skills + Skill Build Guide 18/08/2011
- MapleStory Mercedes Skills + Skill Build 18/08/2011
- MapleStory Demon Slayer Skills + Skill Build 18/08/2011
- MapleStory Herbs and Veins Location Guide 18/08/2011
- MapleStory Dual Blade Skills and Skill Builds 01/02/2011
- MapleStory Lending INT Equipment Service for HP Washing 13/12/2009
- MapleStory Fishing Lagoon Guide 11/12/2009
- MSEA Top Aran ComboM4ster Leveling Method 29/11/2009
- MapleStory Mushroom Castle Pre-Quests (Sleepywood) 29/11/2009
- Aran Motivational Videos 26/11/2009
- micawoo on MapleStory MSEA and GMS VIP Hair Styles with Hair Saloon Location
- Dontrell on 4th Job Advancement Guide Frequently Asked Question
- For My Cleric on MapleStory 3rd Job Advancement Questions and Answers
- True Story on MapleStory Ultimate EXP Guide: 8 Tips on Leveling Up Quickly
- Deathslegacy on MapleStory Ultimate EXP Guide: 8 Tips on Leveling Up Quickly